Sunday, September 20, 2009

Week 3: Preparing for Marriage



This week was great as well. I'm really enjoying reading the chapters in my book because they're sprinkled with quotes from apostles. It's always an uplifting experience!

Even if you're already married, keep reading! There's some great stuff for married couples too. :)

How do we know when we're ready to get married? What should we be looking for in a potential mate? Elder Richard G. Scott sheds some light on the subject.

"...a deep love of the Lord and of His commandments, a determination to live them, one that is kindly, understanding, forgiving of others, and willing to give of self, with the desire to have a family crowned with beautiful children and a commitment to teacch them the principles of truth in the home."

When you're single, it's easy to get down on yourself. Something President Hinckley said really hit home for me this week:

"Be true to yourselves, and your respect for yourselves will increase. Know that yours is a divine birthright. Cultivate a good opinion of yourselves."

We also talked about what love really is. Love is a process, and requires action and time. Marvin J. Ashton said "Too often expediency, infatuation, stimulation, persuasion, or lust are mistaken for love. How hollow, how empty if our love is no deeper than the arousal of momentary feeling or the expression in words of what is no more lasting than the time it takes to speak them." I liked that. Especially because it means real love continues when your hair is gray and your waistline is exploring some real estate. (I gotta lay off the oreos)

On Communication:

Negative communication can destroy relationships. Positive communication lifts and edifies. Elder Ashton said: "Communication is more than the sharing of words. It is the wise sharing of feelings and concerns. It is the sharing of oneself totally."

A part of my chapter that really made me think about how I communicate- "Good communication begins with a righteous heart that desires the welfare of the partner. However, a good heart with no communication skills may lead to misunderstandings. On the other hand, skillful communication from a selfish heart is generally just manipulation."

Making the marriage decision: 6 helpful hints

1)Live worthy of inspiration
2) Exercise agency and inspiration; in other words, make a decision and then pray about it
3) Ask in faith; believe the Lord answers your petitions
4) Seek multiple witnesses; often friends and family can spot potential problems with a marriage partner that we cannot
5) Discern between inspiration, infatuation, and desperation
6) Both individuals should seek personal confirmation

Finally, couples need to take things slowly and have a sense of humor. The Lord believes in marriage and will help us in all of our struggles! I'm grateful for the good examples of marriages I have had in my life (Mom and Dad and all my married siblings) and I love you very much!


Happy Sunday :)

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry Melinda. We won't let you marry a loser. We'll chase him off well before it comes to that =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized that my middle was just "exploring some real estate." I feel better about myself already.

    Great, realistic counsel on seeking a marriage partner.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you wrote this, Goose. I am newly determined to throw my "desperation" out the window along with a wiles of foolishness, hollow passion being my favorite (in description only, right?)

    ReplyDelete