Friday, November 27, 2009

Week 12: Family Crucibles and The Advantages of Marriage



A crucible is a container made of heat-resistant material that can withstand incredible pressure and temperature, so that the material within can be melted, purified, and refined. In class we talked about how trials such as death of a loved one, illness, infertility, and disability can be crucibles that refine us and purify us according to God's will.

James E. Faust said: "Into every life there come painful, despairing days of adversity and buffeting. There seems to be a full measure of anguish, sorrow, and often heartbreak for everyone, including those who earnestly seek to do right and be faithful. The thorns that prick, that stick in the flesh, that hurt, often change lives which seem robbed of significance and hope. This change comes about through a refining process which often seems cruel and hard. In this way the soul can become like soft clay in the hands of the Master in building lives of faith, usefulness, beauty, and strength. For some, the refiner's fire causes a loss of belief and faith in God, but those with eternal perspective understand that such a refining is part of the perfection process."

I know that the most valuable experiences I've had in my own life have been some of the most painful ones - the death of my grandparents, a difficult breakup, the loss of my cousin. These things were extremely painful, but as I look back I can see how much I have grown. I value these experiences because they have brought me closer to the Savior. The other day I was thinking how grateful I am to have trials in my life, because they keep me humble. I sometimes wish I had more, because it's easier for me to be closer to Christ when I am in a difficult position. I suppose the trick is to be close to Him even when times are good. :)I'm working on it.

The advantages of Marriage:

Statistics report that married people live longer, suffer less from illness and disease, and recover from illness faster.

Married people have lower rates of depression and suicide. They are generally happier in all aspects of life.

Married couples are generally wealthier and spend less than divorced individuals. They also save more by living "half and half".

Contrary to what the media would say, married people actually enjoy greater sexual benefits than single or cohabiting individuals. Faithfully married individuals are more satisfied with their sex life and report a greater feeling of stability and confidence in their marriage partner. No surprise there!

"It isn't good to be alone, it isn't good..."

I love this gospel, I love the eternal principle of refinement, and I look forward to the day when I can enter into the eternal covenant of marriage. I love you all!

1 comment:

  1. I love you!
    Thank you for posting, Melinda. I feel very grateful for teh reflections you give on refinement - it gives me great hope and more confidence in my life as I consider trials and difficulties as a great good. Thank you for sharing!

    (p.s. I hope that you are feeling better!)

    ReplyDelete